Item image

Brandenburg Gate

The Brandenburg Gate is a former city gate in located in the Western part of  Berlin. It serves as the entrance to Unter den Linden, leading to the Prussian City Palace. It is one of the most well-known landmarks of Germany.

History

The Brandenburg Gate was commissioned by King Frederick William II of Prussia as a neoclassical triumphal arch. The construction started in 1788 and was completed by 1791. The Gate’s design was based upon the gateway to the Acropolis in Athens, in a style of architectural classicism. It consisted of 12 Doric columns, forming five passageways, and ordinary citizens were allowed to use only the outermost two on each side. On the top of the gate was a chariot drawn by four horses driven by Victoria, the Roman goddess of victory, equipped with an eagle, the symbol of Prussia, and an Iron Cross on her lance with a wreath of oak leaves.

The Brandenburg Gate served as the symbol of victory for generations in the history of Germany. Napoleon passed under it in a procession after his conquest of Prussia. It was used as a mark of power by the Nazis under Adolf Hitler and served as the symbol of the Nazi Party. The gate suffered great damage during the World War II and was jointly repaired by the governments of East and West Germany. Extensive restoration works were carried out in 1990 and 2000. Today, the gate is a major tourist attraction in Berlin.

Information

Days Everyday
Timing 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM
Entrance Fee Free Admission
Reach Bus Route No. 100
Tramway S-Bahn Unter den Linden, Line 1 or 2